- Strategic Advisor, Executive Coach, Mentor
- Advisory Board & Mentor @ EforAll Roxbury
- President @ M.M.LaFleur
- President @ Group Nine Media
- President & CFO @ Thrillist and JackThreads
- CFO @ Huffington Post
- Advisor @ Lerer Hippeau
- COO / CFO @ Text 100 Public Relations
- Founder @ Information Technology Solutions
I’ve spent my career partnering with founders and CEOs to navigate the challenges of building great companies. I’m at my best when the chips are down and the future is uncertain.
I’ve navigated the bursting of the dot-com bubble, the Great Recession, and the Covid shutdowns of 2020. I’ve experienced the ups and downs of a challenging fundraise process. I’ve raised over $165 million in venture capital and led a team to a successful exit. I understand the tough choices required when you need to extend your runway and how to spot opportunities to lean in to accelerate growth.
I bring all of that experience to every project. A trusted advisor who can provide an outside perspective, helping founders balance competing interests and different points of view to make critical decisions as quickly as possible.
- As Interim CFO and then President of M.M.LaFleur, I led the company through a strategic pivot that extended our runway and better positioned the company to manage the impact of Covid on our business.
- As the CFO of the Huffington Post, after a period of high growth in sales, audience, and team, I led the process that resulted in the sale of the company to AOL for $315 million.
- As the President of Thrillist Media Group, we executed a spinout of the DTC e-commerce business, JackThreads, while simultaneously closing two separate funding rounds totaling $54 million from two different groups of investors.
- Less than a year after the spinout of JackThreads, we executed a simultaneous four-company merger, with a $100 million investment from Discovery Communications, to create Group Nine Media.
- As the dot-com bubble burst, I led the restructure of Text 100, a global public relations agency, reigniting growth and profitability by improving operating margins, accelerating global expansion, and aligning global compensation incentives.
Publications and Interviews
- 3 Common Mistakes That Are Inflating Your Marketing Budget (Entrepreneur September 2022)
- 3 Essential Steps To Keep Enough Cash in the Bank (Entrepreneur October 2022)
- 4 Pitfalls of Raising Venture Captial and How to Avoid Them (November 2022)
- Want to Create a Culture of Innovation? Ask These Three Questions (November 2022)
Other Publications and Interviews
- Go Solo Interview (Go Solo, February 2023)
- The Do’s and Don’t of Restructuring Your Startup (Digital Journal, October 2022)
- Contribution Margins are Being Hit Hard by Inflation and Recession – Here’s What You Can Do (TMCnet, September 2022)
- When and How to Change Sales Channels (Daily Scanner, November 2022)